Saturday, September 3, 2011

Life Happens!

Life happens as you live. You can plan it all you want, but you blink and there it is, the way it's supposed to be. I had four children by the time I was twenty-six years old and struggled through most of it trying to provide for them while developing myself as an adult. I worked part time, went to school fulltime and mothered 25 hours a day. I felt over whelmed, at times exhausted, more than once, anxious, but I never lost hope that I would be ok. People used to wonder how I did it with four kids, but I guess I never really thought about it. It was my life and how I was living. One falls into a rhythm and learns as one goes along, experiencing moments along the way.
I would never want my children to go through what I did, but would I change it? Hell NO! Today I find myself rejoicing in the life I have lived and am living, with all it's kits and caboodles, and with four beautifully spirited children to boot! :)
We are shaped not by our experiences but by how we handle and experience those experiences. Some experiences build fear and apprehension, while others build hope and strength. Depending on how we handle it, it can make us timid or fearless for the next time.
Some people become skeptical, giving up on love because they were hurt by someone whom they allowed themselves to be vulnerable with, and so it happens the next time love presents itself, they become cautious and doubtful and therefore may miss out on something special. While others learn from it and know what to look for or steer clear from the next time. Some folks become frustrated because they are not where they want to be, or they don’t have what they think they should have, feeling disappointed in themselves, never realizing or noticing that they are blessed with what they need. On the flip side, many take the experiences to mean that they need to go in another direction and find themselves in a better place.
We may think too much about what we're supposed to be or supposed to have, instead we need to try being present in the life we live. Life happens either way, so we might as well enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. Again, this is another blog, I can relate to! Many people, including me, wait for the "perfect time" to do things, but spend so much time doing nada,and the "perfect time" never comes. And as I'm waiting, so much time has passed by. But i did realize LIFE HAPPENS!!!!
    I love the your line "We are shaped not by our experiences but by how we handle and experience those experiences."
    Great job Djofa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Batman! I am glad you realized life happens! It makes it that much more exciting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Focusing on the present seems like common sense, but so many people forget to enjoy each day. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Peter. Sometimes we do need reminders.

    ReplyDelete