Friday, August 5, 2011

New Shoes


Wearing a brand new pair of shoes can pinch a bit, or even take some getting used to. But they can also make a lady feel sexy, sometimes even renewed if it's THAT pair. Each pair can fit an emotion, need or even a want. There are so many different colors, types, and designs. (Ha! I just realized the same can be said of women), You shoe lovers know what I'm talking about! We can bring new life to an old outfit just by changing the shoes.
There is just something about women and shoes. Maybe the reason women have so many is because we have so many roles, (and emotions for that matter). Sometimes we need a sensible pair to run around for all those to do's. Other times, a conservative pair to go meet with teachers, doctors or lawyers, if need be. One always needs a stiletto that might give a boost to the self or a kick out of mommy track for some grown up time. (Very important!)
I went out and bought a new pair of shoes the day the judge granted my divorce! Insert shoe analogies: Keep steppin'! Keep it moving! Walk on! Whatever it was that I was subconsciously thinking, buying shoes resonated with me. I walked differently as I walked out of the courthouse. Almost as though I was walking on a cloud. I felt light and enlightened. I felt as though I stepped over a barrier, and now understood what life was about. It was weird, almost out of body!
I lived a certain way for a long time. A life fed to me by traditions--'til death do us part--and I did drink the kool-aid. I was that ride or die chick, and there was no ifs, ands or buts about it! As I got older, I started seeing things for what they were. Hurts were painfully present but unacceptable! Things had to change, and the only thing I had control over was me. Steps in my "old shoe" took me down a new path. One that made me realize I had to get new shoes because I no longer took the same steps. Those old shoes were just not going to work.
The divorce was a long drawn out process, one of which I tried my best to be cooperative and cordial, even in the midst of disdain. A process which weighed at the back of my head for a few years, never really allowing me to rest easy. Now that part of my head was free and I wanted a brand new pair of shoes. I walked around to at least six different shops looking for THAT pair. I finally found a pair of peep toe stilettos that fit perfectly. As I took a few steps I felt sturdy. I walked taller and I am confident the pinch will go away as I settle into my "new shoes". I am excited about all the possibilities that can now reside in the freed up spaces of my mind as I continue to step forward.

3 comments: