Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Five Minute Fix!

A mother's role is the toughest role ever! Mothers have to make sure that their kids are fed, (refer to my older post "What's For Dinner?"), teach manners (many are forgetting this one!), make sure homework is completed and that all the school papers are signed, laundry is done and routines are established to keep a home running smoothly. Good for those who are lucky enough to have assistance from a significant other, but it is still a tough job.
That being said, it takes about five minutes for me to throw on some eye shadow, mascara and lip gloss. I fluff up the do and I'm good to go. It doesn't take much time to look put together. Looking at old pictures, I see that I was once a victim of mommyhood, but no more. I remember feeling so heavy and disillusioned after each child. I would lose hope of ever finding my self-esteem and then like magic it would reappear. As the kids got older, I noticed that they'd mimic everything I'd do, realizing that I was their example. I see many mommies these days who use all of their energy taking care of their babies. Many look disheveled, tired and just worn out, but in contrast their children look put together and happy. I also hear many of these mothers sounding resentful when they say things like, "before I had kids I used to be hot", or "before I had kids I used to get my hair did every weekend". Once many women become mothers, they forget about themselves. The weight one puts on to create this child doesn't help the situation either. Your body may change, but the essence of womanhood is still present.
Letting go of yourself to be a mommy is a no-no. Attention maybe paid to your child or children, but remember they learn most from watching you. If you care about yourself, they will care about themselves. It's important to remember that although we maybe mommies, we are still women. You are a person without the kiddies, besides if you have a man, he needs to feel that you care about his needs too, and one also needs to think about once your kids are grown and gone, what are you going to do if your identity depended on your children?
My advice is to get basic. Fit in a five minute fix up before leaving the house. Get clothes that fit well, bigger doesn't hide anything, just makes you look bigger. I always say, "Fake it until you feel it!" (This may apply in more ways than one...wink, wink.) You have to tell yourself "I feel good", then eventually it becomes reality. Kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy. Being confident and loving towards yourself is contagious! Your children, along with other folks around you will feel your spirit and that helps them feel better, and now you really feel better. It's a win-win!




6 comments:

  1. I appreciate this reminder. It's so true that we lose ourselves at times but we have to stay who we are while molding our kids to know right from wrong. Loved this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I'm not trying to have kids. I'm must always be fabolous!!! lol. Just kidding! I agree you can be a wonderful mom and still look good. You are a prime example of that! Keep on writing! Liza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell em Jos! Women (and men) need to take showers and run a comb thru their hair before leaving the house! No more scarves, pajamas, and heavy perfume! It's true that children should be parents' #1 priotrity but it doesn't mean parents shouldn't take care of themselves also

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Tis true Batman! You know it it like they tell folks on the airplane. You have to put the oxygen mask on yourself first, before taking care of anyone else. How is one going to take care of others if one faints?

    ReplyDelete