Thursday, August 4, 2011

What's for Dinner?


I don't know if anyone understands the frustrations of making dinner when you've been cooking dinner for your family for twenty years or more, but it does a number on me. I feel like I cook the same thing all the time, and I'm bored. Chicken, beef and fish. Chicken, beef and fish. I of course have to throw some pork in the mix at times. (Bacon comes second only to chocolate) But then it begins again, chicken, beef and fish. Another thing that pesters me each day is what am I going to cook that everyone will eat? Four kids with four different personalities, it's not easy. The fish thing leaves my second son feeling like "Why mom!? UGH...Why did you make that for dinner?" Who doesn't like fish? The pork situation has my oldest saying things like "I don't eat pork, and you shouldn't either." I leave it at that because I don't want a lesson as to why. Of course, my girls always have their comments depending on the day, leaving me to wonder why do I do it?
For one thing, sometimes I feel my kids are grown and need to learn how to fend for themselves, because these are life skills that they will need to make it on their own. And during the summer, who wants to slave over a hot stove anyway? At times they are each doing their own thing, sometimes they eat out or get home late, leaving me stuck with leftovers, which are lost on my children. Don't they know how much better the food tastes the next day!? Sometimes the frustrations get the better of me, and I just don't cook. I figure they can make sandwiches, eggs or eat cereal, something, anything that will keep them off my back. But as I sit back and put my feet up to relax, the guilt sets in and fills my mind with questions. I might be exhausted, but who else is going to cook? I am supposed to be the responsible one, how can I just sit there knowing the dinner is not ready? What are they going to do for dinner? How can I find a happy medium, so that I won't feel like I'm a terrible mom and my kids will be fed?
All these questions lead to what I grapple with, If not me, who? If I drop my responsibilities what happens? When there is no more juice or milk in the fridge, I can't look elsewhere, I have to replenish it. Four mouths to feed in every sense of the term. I must not only make sure they are fed, but I have to make sure they are "fed" emotionally, mentally and spiritually if need be. Just thinking about my role is overwhelming, but I am appreciative of my blessings. I have always been one to lead by example. I can't expect my children to do something I am not willing to do. I am hoping that as they watch me, they also learn to be self sufficient and responsible. I also know that it is ok to put my feet up when the body just can't, after all I have to feed myself so that I can feed them. Mac and Cheese with Chicken tonight, as I edit and publish this post...hey, I never said I couldn't do it! :)

5 comments:

  1. That's me too. I get up in the morning and make sure everyone is fed before I head to the shop. I make sure there is plenty of stuff for them to snack and make lunch while I'm out. After I close shop I head straight home and straight to the kitchen to make dinner. Some days I pickup dinner on the way.
    But I'm totally on the same page. Same old stuff for dinner and I just don't know what else to cook anymore without someone not being please about what was prepared. If you don't like it find something else is my response most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I was once the cook in my home. I was responsible in feeding my son, girl, and myself. I went on strike, I told my girl I would no longer make dinner unless she shared this burden with me. So I forced her to watch endless hours of foodnetwork. The reward was great, I no longer cook (but I and the human dishwasher). You ever tried giving your kids one day of the week to cook? (adult supervision of course.)

    Looking at your picture, you look familiar. Facebook friend request me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you. The repetitive meals, the responsibility of cooking..such a pain in the ass. But, what you are saying goes deeper. We are responsible for feeding them...body, mind, soul. When we complain or just want a day off, then what??? I know I feel guilty because I have to ensure that my son is getting everything that he needs. No, he can't eat Mcdonalds 4 times a week (although he would gladly do it). Right now he's just 5 so it is imperative that I feed him the best I can. My greatest responsibility is to help him grow into the best man possible.

    Thanks Josie for giving food for thought! (I hope you don't mind that I still call you that ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. @D I'm also the dishwashing machine. I like that idea of having each kid responsible for a night. That would mean I would be responsible for only three nights! LOL I will definitely run it by them.
    @ Kendra Love the food for thought comment! It is true that feeding our children goes deeper than the food. It may be the greatest responsibility, but it is the most rewarding. Btw I don't mind Josie. It is a recurring theme in my writing, some many roles, names, changes. So go with it! :)
    @Luisa We're there girl (motioning eye to eye)! I feel ya with responding "well, find something else." I know I really want to sing "You don't like it, so what I don't care" But that wouldn't be nice! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, come on over! I'll cook YOU some din-din!!

    ReplyDelete